Kitchen Safety Quiz Answer Guide
(view as PDF)
Answers to the Kitchen Safety Quiz
- If you chose "B," give yourself two points. Refrigerators should stay at 40° F (5° C) or less, because it slows the growth of most bacteria.
- If you chose "B," give yourself two points. Hot foods should be refrigerated as soon as possible within two hours after cooking. Generally, leftovers should be eaten within 3-4 days.
- If you chose "A," give yourself two points. If you chose B, give yourself one point. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the kitchen sink drain, disposal and connecting pipe should be sanitized periodically by pouring a solution of 1 teaspoon chlorine bleach in 1 quart of water down the sink.
- If you chose "C," give yourself two points. Improper washing, such as with a damp cloth, will not remove bacteria. Washing only with soap and water may not be sufficient to destroy bacteria.
- If you chose "B" or "C,", give yourself two points. The only bad answer here is "A." Eating homemade products containing raw eggs may put you at risk for a Salmonella infection. Commercial cookie dough is made with pasteurized eggs, so it would not be a food hazard.
- If you chose "C," give yourself two points. If you chose "B", give yourself one point. Bleach and commercial kitchen cleaning agents are the best sanitizers, but need to be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Hot water and soap does a good job in cleaning, but may not kill all strains of bacteria.
- If you chose "A" or "B," give yourself two points. If you wash dishes by hand, wash them within two hours and let them air-dry.
- If you chose "C," give yourself two points. Wash hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food, especially raw meat.
- If you chose "B" or "C," give yourself two points. Bacteria can multiply rapidly at room temperature, so never thaw foods on the counter.
Rating Your Kitchen's Food Safety
18 points: A perfect score!
8 to 17 points: Although you follow several recommended food safety guidelines, you are vulnerable to potential foodborne illnesses. Review the answers to the questions for which you did not score any points to see what actions you can take to better protect your family.
7 points or below: You are at risk for foodborne illness due to the risky food safety practices followed in your home. Read through the answers to the questions above to see what corrective actions you can take to help protect your family.